MHA Sets Up TVSN Prasad Committee to Explore Possible Alternatives to Pellet Guns in Kashmir [ Current News (Concise) - Committees ]
Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has setup a seven-member committee for discovering the other possible alternatives to pellet guns as non-lethal guns. Committee will be headed by Joint Secretary of MHA TVSN Prasad. It will submit its report within two months.
Other members of the committee:
- An expert committee will be set up to recommend alternatives to pellet guns. Before Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had announced in Lok Sabha.
- Pellet guns have been categorised as non-lethal weapon.
- Gun in pellets are loaded with lead balls and once fired disperse into huge numbers.
- They may not kill the person they hit but penetrates skin material and cause serious damages.
- Since 2010 Pellet guns are being used in Kashmir to disperse and control crowd i. e as limitation to harmful elements.
- The procedure of pellet guns is blamed for causing fatal injuries and blindness among protestors in Kashmir.
- Published on: July 27, 2016