Maharashtra Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2015 approved by President [ Current News (Concise) ]
Maharashtra Factories (Amendment) Bill, 2015 was approved by President Pranab Mukherjee of Maharashtra government to allow women to work in factories in night shifts. The working of women in night shifts in the state was banned as per the amendment bill amends Section 66 (1) (c) of Factories Act, 1948.
- The amendment of 67 - year old Act was also makes for ensure security of women working in night shifts which compulsory for factory managements.
- According to previous to amendment, the section 66 (1) (c) of parent Act did not permit women employees to work in the factories in night shift between from 7 PM and 6 AM.
- On other side the amendment bill also allows workers after working 90 days they would be eligible for paid leave instead of the current 240 days or more.
- Moreover to this, the amendment also allowed for working overtime without management’s permission.
- In this concern, the amendment bill has improved the working limit to 115 hours in 3 months instead of 75.
- Thru this Maharashtra has become part of the list of 6 Indian states that already have allowed women to work in night shifts or is in the process of doing so. They are Rajasthan, Haryana, Andhra Pradesh, Punjab and Madhya Pradesh.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 1, 2015