Maharashtra Government announced to rename Girgaum Chowpatty as Swaraj Bhoomi [ Current News (Concise) ]
Maharashtra Government announced to rename Girgaum Chowpatty as Swaraj Bhoomi to honour veteran freedom fighter Bal Gangadhar Tilak. Girgaum Chowpatty is the oldest and most famous beach of Mumbai and it is also called “Chau-pati” because of four channels of water that existed there.
- Maharashtra Government decided to rename Swaraj Bhoomi due to respect of Lokmanya Tilak Gaurav Samiti.
- Lokmanya Tilak Gaurav Samiti demanded that the spot at Chowpatty where Lokmanya Tilak was cremated and where a garden stands now should be called Swaraj Bhoomi.
- Lokmanya Tilak died on 1 August 1920 in Maharashtra.
- According to the 1917 book Bombay Place Names and Street Names, this describes the inroads made by the tide before the western foreshore was reclaimed.
- Published on: March 20, 2015