Manipur assembly permits Protection of Manipur People Bill [ Current News (Concise) ]
About the bill: Manipur Legislative Assembly has passed the Protection of Manipur People Bill, along with other two amendment bills to protect native people of state. Other two bills are Manipur Shops and Establishments (2nd Amendment) Bill, and Manipur Land Revenue and Land Reforms (7th Amendment) Bill.
- Apart from these bills, the assembly also passed a resolution welcoming the Peace Accord signed between the Union Government and the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (NSCN) -IM.
Reason to permit the bill:
- Recently there was strong violent protest in the North Eastern State of Manipur over the issue of protection of native people of state.
- The issue came into light after state assembly had passed the Manipur Regulation of Visitors, Tenant and Migrants Workers Bill, to protect the interest outsiders in the state.
- It should be noted that there is long standing demand for implementation of Inner Line Permit (ILP) system in the state.
- Published on: September 15, 2015