Manoj Kumar Will Be Honored with Dadasaheb Phalke Award [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
The prestigious 47th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2015 will be honored to the Expert Film Actor and Director Manoj Kumar. His selection was done by five member jury consisted of Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhosle, Salim Khan, Nitin Mukesh and Anup Jalota
About Manoj Kumar:
- Manoj Kumar was born in 24th July 1937 in Abbottabad (now in Pakistan) as Harikrishna Giri Goswami.
- During India-Pakistan partition after independence he had shifted to Delhi at the age of 10 years.
- He has completed his graduation from Hindu College, University of Delhi.
- He had started his career in 1957 with debut role as an actor was in the film Fashion and as a leading role was in film Kaanch Ki Gudia in 1960.
Most remembered his films are:
- Hariyali Aur Raasta
- Himalaya Ki God Mein
- Woh Kaun Thi
- Do Badan, Patthar Ke Sanam
- Neel Kamal
- Purab Aur Paschim
- Roti Kapda Aur Makaan
His first nationalistic film was Shaheed in 1965 which was based on the life of Bhagat Singh.
Awards and Honours:
- National Film Award in 1968 for the film Upkaar
- The Padma Shri in 1992
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 1999
About Dadasaheb Phalke Award:
- The Union Government gives these awards to person for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema.
- It was founded in 1969 to memorialize the birth centenary year of father of Indian cinema Dadasaheb Phalke.
- It is the highest official recognition (award) in Indian cinema.
- The Award includes Swarn Kamal, a cash prize of 10 lakhs rupees and a shawl.
- It is given on the basis of commendations of a committee of well-known personalities set up by the Centre.
- Published/Last Modified on: March 7, 2016