March 20 is Observed as World Sparrow Day [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
On March 20 the world sparrow day is being observed every year to increase awareness of the house sparrow and other common birds to urban environments and intimidations to their populations. On this day different activities and events like awareness campaigns, art competitions and the sparrow processions are arranged globally to celebrate this day.
- This celebration is a platform to underscore the need to conserve sparrows as well as the urban biodiversity.
- On this occasion Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has inaugurated a sparrow conservation programme at school levels.
- The common house sparrow is one of the oldest companions of human beings.
- But its population is declining for various reasons such as destruction of its habitat, lack of insect food for the young and the increasing microwave pollution from mobile phone towers.
World Sparrow Day
- The World Sparrow day is an international initiative by the Nature Forever Society (NFS) of India in collaboration with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation (France) and also numerous other national and international organizations across the world.
- The World Sparrow Day was organized in different parts of the world in 2010 for the first time.
- Published/Last Modified on: March 22, 2016