Mare Dibaba triumphs women’s marathon at 2015 World Athletics Championships [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Mare Dibaba: Also known as Mare Ibrahimova in Azerbaijan. She was born on 20th October 1989. She is from Oromia region in Ethiopia. She is the reigning champ in Athletics. Also an eccentric marathon runner.
About her achievements:
- Her first profile out came in 2007, when she took place in the 20km Ethiopian championship and stood 6th, running for Oromia police.
- In 2008, she stood 2nd in the International Udine Half Marathon besides, this was her personal best as she completed the race in 1: 10: 32 hours.
- Her next run was in Delhi in November, where she stood 8th and slightly improved her time of run.
- In 2009, she ran for European Athletics Junior Championships.
- In 2010, she was the fastest recorded by any women at the Ras Al Khaimah Half Marathon where she stood 2nd and her half marathon time was the fastest of the year.
- Also she stood 3rd in the Rome Marathon held in March making her debut.
- In April she won the Rabat Half Marathon.
- Also made her first appearance in US in August where she won Crim 10 - Miler and News and Sentinel Half Marathon.
- She was one of the prominent names at Frankfurt Marathon and won 5th place in spite of her personal best.
- In February 2011, she stood 3rd in the Ras Al Khaimah Half Marathon.
- In March, she was the runner up at Los Angeles Marathon.
- A month later she won the Yangzhou Jianzhen International Half Marathon.
- She was the runner - up at the Bogota Half Marathon in August.
- She was chosen to represent her country at the 2011 All - Africa Games, where she won the half marathon gold medal in a Games record.
- In Toronto Waterfront Marathon in October, she was a runner - up.
- At the Delhi Half Marathon, she stood 6th.
- At the 2012 Dubai Marathon she ran her personal best for 3rd place, making her the second fastest Ethiopian woman.
- As a result she was selected for the marathon team at the 2012 London Olympics, where she stood 23rd.
- Her last performance of the year was a runner - up finish at the Philadelphia Half Marathon.
- In 2014, she won the Chicago Marathon.
About her victory in 2015 World Athletics Championship:
- She won the gold medal in the women’s marathon event at the World Athletics Championships 2015 held in Beijing, China.
- She won the women’s marathon by finishing it in two hours, 27 minutes and 35 seconds.
- With this victory, Dibaba became first Ethiopian female to win the marathon event at the world championships.
- The runners were Kenya’s Helah Kiprop with silver medal and Eunice Kirwa of Bahrain with Bronze medal.
- Published on: September 18, 2015