Mariyappan Thangavelu Begged First Gold Medal for India at 2016 Rio Paralympic Games [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
Mariyappan Thangavelu has bagged first gold medal for India in the category of high-jumper at the 2016 Rio Paralympics with jump of 1.89 metres.With this India’s gets third gold medal at the Paralympics after 12 years.
- Along with Mariyappan Thangavelu, Varun Singh Bhati of India also won the bronze medal in same event with the jump of 1.86 metres, whereas Sam Grewe of United States won the silver medal.
- Previously, in the 1972 Heidelberg Games India got its first ever Paralympics Gold medal which was won by Swimmer Murlikant Petkar. Than In 2004 Athens Paralympics India had won Gold and Bronze medals by Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia and Rajinder Singh in powerlifting event respectively.
- In 2012 Paralympics which was organized at London, India had won just a silver medal.
About Mariyappan Thangavelu:
- Mariyappan Thangavelu was born 28th June 1995 at Salem, Tamil Nadu.
- He is an Indian Paralympic high jumper.
- He had started his Athletic career at the age of 14 years.
- In IPC Grand Prix in Tunisia, qualifying event he has cleared a distance of 1.78m in the men’s high jump T42 and qualified for the Rio Paralympics.
About Summer Paralympic Games
- The Summer Paralympic Games are an international multi-sport event, for athletes with physical disabilities compete such as mobility disabilities, amputations, blindness, and cerebral palsy.
- The Paralympic Games were organized at every four years by the International Paralympic Committee.
- It was firstly played in 1904.
- Published on: September 12, 2016