Michel Barnier Appointed as Chief Brexit Negotiator by European Union Commission [ Current News (Concise) ]
The European Union’s executive on Wednesday tapped former French financial services commissioner Michel Barnier as its chief negotiator for the U. K. ’s exit from the bloc. The European Commission is the EU’s executive body. It represents the interests of the European Union as a whole.
About European Union Commission
- The European Commission has its headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, and some services also in Luxembourg. The Commission has Representations in all EU Member States and 139 Delegations across the globe.
- The current Commission’s term of office runs until 31 October 2019. Its President is Jean-Claude Juncker.
- The European Union’s activities today affect millions of European citizens’ lives. The decisions affecting them must be taken as openly as possible.
- The European Commission acts to ensure proper application of EU law for the benefit of citizens and businesses. This month’s package includes eight referrals to the Court of Justice, 20 reasoned opinions and 86 closures.
Concerning of Michel Barnier
- Michel Barnier is a French politician belonging to Union for a Popular Movement (UMP). He is Vice President of the European People’s Party (EPP).
- The appointment of Mr. Barnier, who led the European Commission’s overhaul of EU banking laws in the aftermath of the 2008 financial meltdown, was seen as provocative by some commentators in London, as France has taken a tough view on the U. K. ’s future relationship with the EU.
- He had served as European Commissioner for Internal Market and Services (ECIMS) from February 2010 to November 2014.
- Mr. Barnier, a 65-year-old center-right politician who has held numerous posts in the French government including foreign and agriculture minister, tweeted in English “Rendez-vous for beginning of demanding task on 1 October. ”
- “I wanted an experienced politician for this difficult job, ” Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said in a statement.
- Michel is a skilled negotiator with rich experience in major policy areas relevant to the negotiations.
- When Michel Barnier appeared in first of the U. K. Treasury Select Committee in 2011 as EU financial services chief. Michel Barnier chose to testify in his native tongue after a brief statement in English—to the evident aggravation of some British lawmakers.
- He had stepped down from the position after he was elected as a Member of the European Parliament (MEP).
- Published on: August 1, 2016