Michelle Payne wins Melbourne Cup and becomes first female jockey [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Michelle Payne: Michelle Payne was born on 29th September 1985. She is an Australian jockey. She won her first race at Ballarat, aboard leading which was a horse trained by her father.
- Payne won first Group One race named the Toorak Handicap at Caulfield Racecourse aboard Allez Wonder on 10th October 2009.
- Payne was the third female jockey to ride in the Caulfield Cup.
About her winning of Melbourne Cup:
- Michelle Payne won the 2015 Melbourne Cup by riding Prince of Penzance and became the first female jockey to win the cup in 155 years history.
- She was also the fourth woman to ride in the race and was unexpectedly wearing the colours of the suffragette movement: purple, green and white.
About Melbourne Cup:
- Melbourne Cup is one of Australia’s most prestigious Thoroughbred horse races.
- The race distancing near about 3200 meters.
- It is conducted annually on the Flemington Racecourse by the Victoria Racing Club in Melbourne, Victoria.
- The first race was held in 1861 over two miles.
- It was shortened to 3, 200 meters in 1972 when Australia adopted the metric system.
- 1990 winner Kingston Rule is the present record holder with a time of 3: 16.3.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 6, 2015