Ministry Grants Recognition to Paralympic Committee of India [ Current News (Concise) - Committees ]
The union Sports Ministry has announced that it has granted recognition to the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI), giving a huge confidence boost to the several para-athletes who have qualified for Rio Paralympics
- The IPC had postponed PCI in April 2015 due to internal conflicts between many groups and persons, which were discouragement the development of Paralympic Movement in India. Just because of suspension, Indian para-athletes were not allowed to participate in any IPC-sanctioned competition including 2016 Rio Paralympic Games.
- The ministry’s move comes less than a month after the International Paralympic Committee announced temporary lifting of suspension imposed on the national body last year.
- So, that Indians can take part under the tri-colour in the showpiece event in September.
Paralympic Committee of India (PCI):
- Paralympic Committee of India was founded in 1992 as the Physically Handicapped Sports Federation of India.
- PCI was recognized in November 2011, as National Sports Federation (NSF) for promotion of sports amongst the physically challenged sportspersons in the country.
- To represent India at the Paralympic Games and other international athletic meets the PCI is responsible for selecting athletes.
- Published on: July 4, 2016