Ministry of Power Unveils World’S Largest Street Light Programme [ Current News (Concise) - Policies & Governance ]
Power Ministry unveiled world’s largest street light replacement programme in South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area. It is implemented under LED based Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture under the Union Ministry of Power.
About Street Light Replacement Programme
- It is the World’sLargestStreet Light Replacement Programme
- It is being implemented by the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture under the Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- The SLNP programme is presently running in Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Assam, Tripura, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- A total of 15.36 lakh street lights have already been replaced in the country with LED bulbs.
- The mobile app called EESL SL Complaint App for SDMC launched by Shri Goyal; users can now lodge complaints about faulty street lights.
- LED bulbs have a very long life, almost 50 times more than ordinary bulbs, and 8-10 times that of CFLs.
- It provides both energy and cost savings in the medium term.
About Ministry of Power
- Formed: 2 July 1992; 24 years ago
- Preceding Ministry : Ministry of Energy Sources
- Headquarters: Shram Shakti Bhawan, Rafi Marg, New Delhi, India
- Minister: Piyush Goyal
- It is charged with overseeing electricity production and infrastructure development.
- The ministry acts as a liaison between the central government and state electricity operations.
- The ministry also oversees rural electrification projects.
- Published on: January 9, 2017