Mother Teresa: Idolized as Saint [ Current News (Concise) ]
A Roman Catholic religious sister and missionary Mother Teresa was announced as a Saint during the ceremony held in Vatican by Pope Francis. Previously announcement in this regard was mad during March 2016.
- Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has represented Indian delegation in this ceremony.
- After Father Kuriakose Elias Chavara, Sister Alphonsa and Sister Euphrasia, Mother Teresa becomes the fourth Indian to be idolized as Saint.
- Portuguese Saint Gonsalo Garcia of parentage was born in India and he is considered as an India born saint.
About Mother Teresa
- Mother Teresa was born on 26 August 1910as Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu in Skopje (Now in Macedonia) then part of the Kosovo Vilayet in the Ottoman Empire.
- She was the founder of Kolkata based Missionaries of Charity which is working to helps poor on the streets of Kolkata.
- She had served the poor, sick, orphaned and dying on the streets of Kolkata around 45-years though the organization. S
- She had died at the age of 87 in 1997 in Kolkata.
- Awards and Honours:
- Ramon Magsaysay Award (1962)
- Padma Shri (1962)
- Nobel Peace Prize (1979)
- Bharat Ratna (1980)
- It is the act that declares that a person who died was a saint and it has different act like:
- Oriental Orthodoxy
- Roman Catholic
- Anglican Church
- There are different processes used by the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church for the canonization process.
- Before this rule individuals were recognized as saints without any formal process.
- Presently there are four steps of canonization of the Roman Catholic Church.
- First is Servant of God followed by Venerable and later is blessed and Sainthood is the last stage of canonization.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 6, 2016