Mother Teresa to Be Idolized as Saint [ Current News (Concise) ]
A Roman Catholic religious sister and missionary Mother Teresa will be preeminent to Sainthood i. e. will be made a saint of the Roman Catholic Church on September 4, 2016. Pope Francis has approved a decree identifying a second miracle attributed to Mother Teresa’s intercession with God.
- Mother Teresa was beatified by then late Pope John Paul in 2003.
- Beatification requires one miracle and is the last step before sainthood and the second miracle of Mother Teresa has been attributed to the intercession which is required for canonization.
- It involved the secretive restorative of a man who was suffering from a deadly brain disease.
About Mother Teresa:
- Mother Teresa was born on 26 August 1910as Anjeze Gonxhe Bojaxhiu in Skopje (Now in Macedonia) then part of the Kosovo Vilayet in the Ottoman Empire.
- She was the founder of Kolkata based Missionaries of Charity which is working to helps poor on the streets of Kolkata.
- She had served the poor, sick, orphaned and dying on the streets of Kolkata around 45-years though the organization.
- She had died at the age of 87 in 1997 in Kolkata.
Awards and Honours:
- Ramon Magsaysay Award (1962)
- Padma Shri (1962)
- Nobel Peace Prize (1979)
- Bharat Ratna (1980)
It is the act that declares that a person who died was a saint and it has different act like:
- Oriental Orthodoxy,
- Roman Catholic,
- Anglican Church
There are different processes used by the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church for the canonization process.
Before this rule individuals were recognized as saints without any formal process.
Presently there are four steps of canonization of the Roman Catholic Church.
First is Servant of God followed by Venerable and later is Blessed and Sainthood is the last stage of canonization.
- Published on: March 16, 2016