Mount McKinley , tallest mountain in North America retitled as Denali [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Denali: It is the highest mountain peak in North America. The peak elevation of Mount Denali is 6, 190 m above sea level. It is located in the Alaska Range and Denali National Park in the US state of Alaska. It is the third most prominent peak after Mount Everest and Aconcagua.
- Till 1896, it was named as Denali (meaning as High One or Great One) among the natives of Alaska, but was renamed as Mount McKinley in the honor of William McKinley after he was nominated to become the US President.
About the title given:
- United States has changed the name of tallest mountain in North America Mount McKinley to its original native name Denali.
- It was announced by US President Barack Obama during of his three - day visit to Alaska to focus the issue of climate change.
- It was renamed by US Department of the Interior (USDoI) in combination with the US Board
- Published/Last Modified on: September 12, 2015