Multi-Faceted Indian Ocean World Will Be Going to Explore by Project Mausam [ Current News (Concise) ]
The multi-faceted Indian Ocean world is going to be exploring by the Project Mausam for collating archaeological and historical research and not to counter China’s Silk Route strategy. The Union Minister of State (MoS) has announced it for Culture and Tourism (Independent Charge) Dr. Mahesh Sharma in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
About Project Mausam:
- In June 2014 Project Mausam was launched at the 38th Session of World Heritage Committee (WHC) meeting held at Doha, Qatar.
- The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) is the nodal agency of implementation of this project under the initiative of Union Ministry of Culture.
- The associate bodies for research support are Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) and National Museum.
- The main objective behind the research is to collating archaeological and historical research for document the diversity of cultural, religious and commercial interactions in the Indian Ocean.
It will be spread out to the Southeast Asian archipelago
- East Africa
- Arabian Peninsula
- Indian Subcontinent
- Sri Lanka.
It observes important processes and monsoon phenomena which connect different countries along with the Indian Ocean littoral as well as the coastal centres that connect hinterlands.
Main focus points are of project are:
- monsoon patterns
- cultural context
- maritime trade routes
- coastal landscapes
- Published/Last Modified on: March 14, 2016