NATMO to Make Digital library for Indian Maps within a Year [ Current News (Concise) ]
About NATMO: NATMO stands for National Atlas & Thematic Mapping Organisation. The plan of buildup a National Atlas of India was conveyed for the first time in India by Prof. S. P. Chatterjee who was Professor of Geography in Calcutta University. Late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru was ensued his instant approval of this project in 1953. NATMO’s responsibility is in the field of thematic cartography and geographical research at national level.
About Digital Library:
- A digital library is a collection of documents in prepared electric form.
- It is available on the Internet or on CD - ROM (compact - disk read - only memory) disks.
- From the digital library, a user can be able to access magazine articles, books, papers, images, sound files, and videos.
About making of Digital library for Indian Maps:
- The Department of Science and Technology is currently considering a proposal by NATMO to develop a digital library.
- The maps will be thematic and represent the different views on fronts such as environmental, physical, socio - economic, cultural, demographic, etc.
- Moreover, several web applications based on location - based services of the maps will also be developed at NATMO.
- Published on: September 11, 2015