NATO launches biggest Trident Juncture Military Exercise in Italy [ Current News (Concise) ]
About NATO: The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) also known as the North Atlantic Alliance, is an intergovernmental military association based on the North Atlantic Treaty which was signed on 4 April 1949. NATO’s headquarters are located in Haren, Brussels.
- The organization constitutes a system of collective defence whereby its member states agree to mutual defense in response to an attack by any external party.
About the launch:
- NATO has launched Trident Juncture Military Exercise in Italy to test the alliance’s ability to respond to new security threats.
- It will also make evident NATO’s ability to deal with predictable military engagements to more subtle hybrid warfare techniques and information.
- It is the biggest military application conducted by alliance in past 13 years as it has prepared around 36, 000 soldiers, sailors and airmen from more than 30 countries of NATO.
- The operational center for the exercise is based in the Sicilian city Trapani (Italy). It will take place till early November 2015 and prolong into Spain, Portugal and nearby waters.
- The exercise predicts a false invasion of a small alliance member by a large country.
- It also predicts threats to energy supplies and navigational freedom along with risks of terrorism and cyberattacks.
- Published on: October 20, 2015