NCC Girls First Ever Everest Expedition Flagged Off [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Union Minister of State (MoS) for Defence Rao Inderjeet Singh has flagged off the first ever all girls National Cadet Corps (NCC) Mount Everest expedition in New Delhi. The aim of climbing trips in NCC is to strengthen the character and implant qualities in the cadets like
The ten girl cadet’s team is headed by Colonel Gaurav Karki, along with fifteen service personnel.
- On 31st March 2016 they will reach Nepal and claimed the highest point between 15 and 25th May, 2016.
- From 100 nominated girl cadets 10 girls are selected to experience the Customized Mountaineering Course at Himalayan Mountaineering Institute (HMI), Darjeeling based on their performance in the first pre-Everest Expedition to Mt Deo-Tibba (19688 Feet) near Manali in Himachal Pradesh and second pre-Everest Expedition to Mt Trishul (23360 Feet).
- In NCC Mountaineering Expedition was introduced in 1970 as an adventure activity.
- From then every year NCC conducts two mountaineering expeditions one each for boy and girl cadets.
- So far NCC has launched more than 70 trips to different mountains.
- Published on: March 10, 2016