NHAI Inks MoU with IIT-Kharagpur [ Current News (Concise) - Policies & Governance ]
(NHAI) National Highways Authority of India has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with IIT-Kharagpur. The MOU sign for the research project on Laboratory and Field investigations on Paneled Cement Concrete Pavements for Highways.
- For this project NHAI have paid Rs. 1.25 crore, excluding the cost of construction of trial pavement section on NH.
- This research project duration is 3 years.
- These highways are generally concrete with bituminous material produced from refineries in India.
- These highways are prone to damage and need frequent maintenance due to adverse climatic conditions in the country like rain and hot weather prevailing.
- Hence, to overcome this problem, a policy for the construction of concrete pavements for all major highways due to their longevity and maintenance free life.
About Paneled Concrete Pavement
- It facilitates faster construction of highways at much cheaper cost by consuming less natural resources.
- It promotes the Green Highways in the country.
- It will be laid on concrete base and fulfill the Government of India’s dream of provide long lasting maintenance free pavement at a cost on par with those of bituminous pavements.
- Published on: August 15, 2016