Najib Shah appointed as the Chairman of CBEC [ Current News (Concise) ]
Union Government has appointed senior IRS officer Najib Shah as the chairman of Central Board of Excise and Customers (CBEC). His appointment was confirmed by Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- He will have tenure of 2 years i. e. till March 2017.
- He was serving as acting Chairman of the board after retirement of Kaushal Srivastava in July 2015.
About Mr Shah:
- he was working as Member in the CBEC board since May 2015.
- he had served as Director General of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Mr Shah is an Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise) officer of 1979 batch.
- CBEC is the nodal government agency on Indirect Taxes responsible for administering Customs, Central Excise, Service Tax and Narcotics in India.
- It was established in 1855 by the then British Governor General of India as Customs & Central Excise department.
- It is one of the oldest government departments of India.
- It functions and tasks under the guidance of the Department of Revenue of Union Ministry of Finance.
- Published on: November 2, 2015