National Milk Day 26 November [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
26th November is celebrated as National Milk Day every year on the birth anniversary of Father of the White Revolution Dr. Verghese Kurien. Background: In 2014, The idea of observing National Milk Day was first suggested by Indian Dairy Association (IDA) By all Indian diary sector majors including National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) 26 November 2014 observed as The first National Milk Day
About Dr. Verghese Kurien
- Born : On 26 November 1921 in Calicut in the Madras Presidency of British India.
- Pass On : On 9 September 2012.
- The billion - liter idea - Operation Flood was started by him as Social businessperson which was the world’s largest agricultural development programme.
- Operation had helped India to become world’s largest milk manufacturer from a milk - deficit country.
Milk Co - operatives Movement:
- He had set up About 30 cooperative institutions of excellence was set up by Dr. Kurien Varghese (like AMUL, GCMMF, IRMA, NDDB) which are maintained and managed by farmers and track by professionals.
- AMUL the leading brand in milk production was established by Dr. Kurien. He was also founding chairman of the Gujarat Co - operative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF),
Books by him: Kurien authors some books like…
- I Too Had a Dream,
- An Unfinished DreamThe Man,
- Who Made the Elephant Dance which is an audio Autobiography of Dr. Kurien in the voice of Tom in his own voice.
- Varghese Kurien: The Man with the Billion Liter idea was published in Amar Chitra Katha.
Milk powder: Amul succeeded in key invention of milk powder processed from buffalo milk under his chairmanship.
Awards and Honors:
- Ramon Magsaysay Award (1963)
- World Food Prize (1989)
- Padma Shri (1965)
- Padma Bhushan (1966)
- Padma Vibhushan (1999)
- Published/Last Modified on: November 26, 2015