Nationality of the Indo-Bangla joint survey concluded in LBA enclaves [ Current News (Concise) ]
The land boundary agreement (LBA) on the India-Bangladesh border recently swapped selection of 162 enclaves in the official national survey has ended. The survey was conducted by the Enclaves Exchange Co-ordination Committee (NECC) of both countries for determining the nationality preference of over 50,000 enclave-residents.
- On Bangladesh’s side it is found that 1,027 out of around 37,369 had selected for Indian nationality from the recently swapped 111 Indian enclaves now located in Bangladesh.
- In India’s side, over 14,000 residents in 51 Bangladeshi enclaves transferred to India have selected to relocate to Bangladesh.
- The nationality preference survey was conducted by 75 joint-teams of NECC under the modalities of the LAB.
- The agreement came in to effect after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Bangladesh on June 2015.
- India had swapped around 111 enclaves to Bangladesh, while the counterpart had swapped 51 enclaves.
- As per LBA, all 162 enclaves will stand transferred to the two respective countries on midnight of 31 July, 2015.
- Published on: July 24, 2015