Naval chief R.K. Dhowan commissioned INS Vishwakarma [ Current News (Concise) ]
About commission of INS Vishwakarma: Shipwright School, a best technical institution and alma - mater for Naval Architect Officers, Shipwright Officers and Shipwright Sailors of the Indian Navy. It was commissioned as Indian Naval Ship (INS) Vishwakarma by Admiral R. K. Dhowan at Visakhapatnam.
- INS Vishwakarma was commissioned in ownership with the Navy’s insertion towards indigenization.
- It would also help in ‘Make in India’ inventiveness.
- It was also commissioned to keep in view the role of the SWS which has expected greater implication presently in improving Indian Navy’s warship and submarine design.
About Robin K. Dhowan:
- Robin Dhowan is the 22nd and current Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy.
- Previously, he served as the Vice Chief of the Naval Staff from August 2011 to April 2014.
- He was honoured with a “telescope” for being the “Best Cadet”.
- He was also awarded with the ‘Sword of Honour’ on accomplishment of his midshipman training.
About INS Vishwakarma as Shipwright School:
- Shipwright School (SWS) was established in 1941 at INS Shivaji for training shipwright artificers of Indian Navy.
- It was successively shifted in 1943 to Naval Barracks, Mumbai which is now known as INS Angre.
- It was again shifted to the present locations in 1981 at Visakhapatnam as a dedicated training establishment with self - governing facilities for training of shipwright trainees.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 23, 2015