Navtej Sarna: New Ambassador to the US [ Current News (Concise) ]
Navtej Sarna (59) is appointed as the Ambassador to the United States by Union Government in place of Arun Kumar Singh. Mr. Singh retired from the service. In his new role, he will face the task of engaging with the new administration of United States following the November 2016 Presidential poll.
About Navtej Sarna
- Navtej Sarna was born in 1957 at Jalandhar, and he is an Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer of the 1980 batch.
- He has completed his schooling from St. Joseph’s Academy, Dehradun and earned his graduation in 1980.
- In a career spanning 35 years, he has led several important assignments at the MEA.
- Prior to this appointment, he was India’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom from January 2016.
- Previously he also served as Secretary (West) at the Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in October 2002.
- He is the longest-serving spokespersons of the MEA (2002 to 2008).
- Long with this he is also a writer and has penned many fiction and non-fiction books such as:
- “We Weren’t Lovers Like That” in 2003 (first book)
- “The Book of Nanak” in 2003
- “The Exile” in 2008
- “Second Thoughts: On Books, Authors and the Writerly Life” in 2016
- He served as ambassador to Israel from 2008 to 2012.
- He was a part of many Indian missions including in Warsaw, Moscow, Tehran, Geneva, Thimphu and Washington.
- Published on: September 23, 2016