Neeraj Chopra Becomes 1st Indian to Set World Record in Jr Athletics Championship [ Current News (Concise) ]
Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra has becoming first Indian Junior athlete to create a World Record in junior athletics Championship. In the IAAF Under-20 World Athletics Championship, he achieved this feat, by throwing javelin at a record distance of 86.48 m in his second attempt.
- Neeraj Chopra also set a World Junior Record for Javelin Throw.
- IAAF Under-20 World Athletics Championship held in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
- Neeraj Chopra won gold medal in this event.
- South African Johan Grobler (80.59m) won the silver medal.
- Anderson Peters (79.65m) of Granada won the bronze medal.
- Previously, IAAF Under-20 World Athletics Championship held in by Latvian Zigismunds. Neeraj Chopra broke the previous record of 84.69 meters by nearly two meters.
- He is third Indian athlete who has won a medal in the junior athletics Championship in U-20 World Championships.
Other two throwers are:
- Seema Antil Punia (won Bronze medal in 2002)
- Navjeet Kaur Dhillon (won Bronze medal in 2014)
- Published on: July 25, 2016