Nelson Mandela International Day: 18 July [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
Nelson Mandela International Day known as Madela Day is celebrated on 18 July every year in the world. This day is to mark birth anniversary of Nobel Peace Prize laureate and former South African President Nelson Mandela.
2016 Theme: “Take Action, Inspire Change”
Importance of Day:
- This day seeks to celebrates the idea that each individual has the power to transform the world and the ability to make an effect.
- It objective is to motivate individuals to take action to help change the world for the better.
- UN General Assembly (UNGA) had officially declared 18 July “Nelson Mandela International Day” In November 2009.
- For appreciation of the former South African President’s contribution to the culture of peace and freedom.
- The first UN Mandela Day held on 18 July 2010.
- A series of educational, fund-raising, art exhibit, and volunteer events important up to a concert at Radio City Music Hall on 18 July.
- Mandela Day is not mean a public holiday but as a day to honour the legacy of Nelson Mandela.
- Organised by the 46664 concerts and the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
- It also commitment to democracy, racial justice and promotion and protection human rights values and his commitment to the service of humanity in the fields of race relations.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 19, 2016