New Chairman of CCI: Devender Kumar Sikri [ Current News (Concise) ]
Former IAS Devender Kumar Sikri appointed as Chairman of Competition Commission of India (CCI) by Union Government. He will replace Ashok Chawla after his tenure completed as the Chairman of CCI. He will serve as chairman of CCI for two and half year’s tenure until he reaches to the age of 65 years.
About Devender Kumar Sikri
- Devender Kumar Sikri is a former IAS officer of Gujarat cadre.
- He has served for many positions in his cadre state Gujarat as well as in Centre.
- He was retired as Secretary, Department of Justice in July 2013.
- He had also worked as Secretary of Registrar General of Census (RGC) and the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
About Competition Commission of India
- Competition Commission of India is a body of the Government of India responsible for enforcing The Competition Act, 2002 throughout India and to prevent activities that have an adverse effect on competition in India.
- It was formed on 14 October 2003.
- And it is come in force from May 2009.
- Dhanendra Kumar was the first Chairman of CCI.
- Its forerunner was the MRTPC (Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission) which was functional prior to 1991 Economic Reforms.
- Published on: January 11, 2016