New Chief Information Commissioner: R K Mathur [ Current News (Concise) ]
Former Defence Secretary Radha Krishna Mathur (62) has taken place as New Chief Information Commissioner (CIC). He will have been appointed for about three years (2017) till he riches to the age of 65. He has replace Vijai Sharma after his retirement.
The senior-most Information Commissioner is chosen as CIC usually. But Mr. Mathur is not appointed based on this scenario.
- According to The Right To Information (RTI) Act, 2005 R K Mathur has been appointed as CIC on the basis of proposal of Prime Minister led selection committee and it is approved by President Pranab Mukherjee.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Leader of the Largest Opposition Party in Lok Sabha, Mallikaarjun Kharge and Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley are included in the selection committee and it was chaired by Narendra Modi.
About R K Mathur
- R K Mathur is a retired IAS officer of Tripura cadre.
- For two years he had served as Defence Secretary.
- He also had work as Secretary Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) and Defence Production and Supplies.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 21, 2015