Niti Aayog Has Identified Eight PSUs for Closure [ Current News (Concise) - Policies & Governance ]
Union Government think-tank National Institution for Transforming India (NITI Aayog) has identified 8 PSUs for closure after finding them weak for renewal. For the proposal Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) gives in- principle approval.
- Out of 74 loss-making public sector units Niti Aayog identified these eight units.
- Ministry responsible for administration of these PSUs.
- It will prepare detailed plan for closure of these firms.
- Identification of assets to be liquidated
- Compensation for employees of these firms
- Niti Aayog was asked by the PMO to identify one sick PSU along with a detailed plan for its sell-off or eventual liquidation before moving on to other such cases.
Aayog had submitted two separate lists of sick and loss-making PSUs:
- One comprising those that can be closed down
- The other of those where government can divest its stake.
- Aayog preparing a list of PSUs for strategic sale or privatization
Current Members of NITI Aayog:
- Published/Last Modified on: August 8, 2016