Nobel Peace Prize conferred to National Dialogue Quartet [ Current News (Concise) ]
About National Dialogue Quartet: It is group of 4 organizations namely 1. Tunisian General Labour Union 2. Tunisian Confederation of Industry, Trade and Handicrafts 3. Tunisian Human Rights League 4. Tunisian Order of Lawyers.
- It was established in 2013 after the Jasmine revolution in 2011 for a peaceful interact among citizens.
- It also established a legal system of government in Tunisia giving necessary rights to the population regardless of gender, religious beliefs or political verdict.
About Jasmine Revolution:
- It was a serious movement of public fight with a series of street protests against the long governing rule of President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
- This began in December 2010 and led to expel of Zine El Abidine Ben Ali in January 2011.
- This Revolution led to a deep democratization of the country and led to free and democratic elections.
- In every country except Tunisia the revolution had turned violent.
- In case of Syria it turned into civil war.
About Prize conferred to NDQ:
- Norwegian Nobel Committee has selected NDQ for its crucial contribution in building multicultural democracy in Tunisia in the stir of the 2011 Jasmine Revolution.
- Hence National Dialogue Quartet has won 2015 Nobel Peace Prize.
- Published on: October 9, 2015