Noted Malayalam Poet O N V Kurup is No More [ Current News (Concise) ]
Noted O N V Kurup a noted Malayalam poet and lyricist have passed away in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala at the age of 84 years. He well-known as “ONV”, Ottaplakkal Nambiyadikkal Velu Kurup. He had made major contributions to the Malayalam film music and also part of the progressive movement in Kerala.
About O N V Kurup:
- He was born on 27th May 1931 in Chavara, Kollam.
- He has completed his graduation from SN collage, Kollam
- He had started his career as a lecturer in Maharajas College, Ernakulam and then he joined different colleges.
About his Poem:
“Munnottu” (Forward) was the first poem by him which is about his patriotic feelings was published in 1946.
Other notable poems are:
- Agnishalabhangal (1971)
- Aksharam (1974)
- Uppu (1980)
- Bhoomikkoru Charamageetham (1984)
- Ujjayini (1994)
- Swayamvaram (1995)
He was the Chairman of the Kerala Kalamdandalam and also served at several top positions in various arts and literary bodies.
Awards and Honours:
- Kerala and Kendra Sahitya Academy awards.
- country’s highest literary honour in 2007
- The Jnanpith Award for his overall contributions to the Malayalam literature
- Padma Shri in 1998
- Padma Vibhushan in 2011
- Published/Last Modified on: February 15, 2016