Om Prakash Munjal, The founder of Hero Cycle passed away [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Om Prakash Munjal: Om Prakash Munjal who was the founder of Hero Cycles and Motors is died at DMC Hero Heart Centre in Ludhiana at age 87. Om Prakash Munjal was born on 26th August 1928 in Kamalia.
- Kamalia is a city in the Toba Tek Singh which is District of the Punjab and area of Pakistan.
- He was the founder and the chairman of Hero Cycles which is world’s largest integrated bicycle manufacturing company.
- He was also founder of Hero Motors which is an Indian two - wheeler components manufacturer company.
- He was also a poet and contributor.
- He is also known for charitable activities in schools and hospitals.
- He became one of the first to explore the idea of manufacturing electric bicycles in India.
- He honoured by Udyog Rattan Award from Amrinder Singh and Punjab Rattan award for unforgettable contribution in economic development of the Punjab.
- He also received the Samman Patra award for the support to exchequer of the state government.
- He also got Indira Gandhi National Unity award to distinguish his social contribution.
About Hero Cycles:
- He started complete manufacturing of bicycle in 1956 with name Hero.
- They became the first bicycle manufacturer in India which produced 639 bicycles in that first year.
- Now the name Hero cycles become the world’s largest united bicycle manufacturing company which manufacture 7.5 million cycles per year.
- Published/Last Modified on: August 17, 2015