Omi the Noted Music Director is No More [ Current News (Concise) ]
Noted music director Om Prakash Sonik also known as Omi, Composer part of the Sonik-Omi duo, has passed away in Mumbai, Maharashtra after a brief illness. He was 77 years old. Omi was the nephew of the blind music director Master Sonik. Master Sonik and Omi they together formed the Sonik-Omi team.
About Om Prakash Sonik (Omi):
- Omi was born and raised in Sialkot (now in Pakistan). His family had moved to India after Partition in 1947.
- In 1950, great singer Master Sonik arrived in Mumbai with his young nephew in tow, hoping to make a career in the film industry.
- The Sonik-Omi team had given music to nearly 125 Bollywood movies in the 1950 - 1980s.
- Some of their best-known works films are:
- Bhakti Mein Shakti
- Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya (1966)
- Sawan Bhadon
- Master Sonik passed away in 1993, Omi continued to compose music.
- Before retirement, omi’s last musical track was for the film Biwi No. 2 in 2000.
- Till the end, he remained active with The Indian Performing Right Society Ltd, which ensures royalties for all performers.
- In the past few years, Omi largely stayed away from Bollywood but composed certain non-film and private albums, religious music and other types of music.
As playback singer:
- In 6 Bollywood movies Om Prakash Sonik (Omi) worked as Playback Singer.
- Published on: July 8, 2016