On day one Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa clears five welfare schemes [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
After being sworn in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for the fifth time, J Jayalalithaa signed in five files for development and welfare schemes worth over Rs 1,800 crore. Jayalalithaa announced several schemes, including those for improvement of roads, drinking water facilities and for helping needy families headed by women.
- Jaya allocated Rs.100 crore this fiscal f or a special scheme benefiting families with women heads. She also launched RO plant for provide safe drinking water in public place, hospitals, corporation and Amma canteens.
- Each family will be granted Rs. 2.10 lakh; and poor in town panchayats living in mud or thatched houses were eligible for the scheme to be implemented by the Tamil Nadu Slum Clearance Board.
- The Chief Minister had sanctioned green houses for 20,000 families in the initial phase for industrialisation of cities and it increased housing demand in town panchayats.
- The major thrust will be for urban and rural roads. She allocated Rs. 1,000 crore for urban roads, including those under Chennai corporation limits as it was necessary to repair roads dug up repeatedly by various agencies like Metrowater and those damaged in rains.
- The government will spend Rs. 800 crore covering 3,500 km of road network of which 50 per cent will be spent on laying new bitumen roads and the rest for repairing the damaged roads for the rural roads.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 28, 2015