Oscar of the Sports Awards for the year 2015 [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
Oscar of the Sports Awards for the year 2015 or the Laureus World Sports Awards for the year 2015 were given in seven categories at Shanghai in China. Ace tennis star Serbian Novak Djokovic who is the current World no.1 player selected for the sportsman of the year and sprinter Genzebe Dibaba of Ethiopia who is middle and long –distance runner selected for the Sportswoman of the 2015.
List of Laureus World Sports Awards 2015-
- Laureus World Sportsman of the Year: Serbian tennis star Novak Djokovic
- Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year: Genzebe Dibaba of Ethiopian sprinter
- Laureus World Team of the Year: Germany Men’s Football Team
- Laureus World Comeback of the Year: Schalk Burger of South Africa, who fought through life-threatening meningitis to win back his place in the Springboks rugby team
- Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability: Tatyana McFadden who is the wheelchair racer
- Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year: Alan Eustace holds the world record for the highest-altitude free fall jump.
- Spirit of the year –Yao Ming who is China’s retired basketball player.
- Laureus Exceptional Achievement Award: Two-time Grand Slam winner Li Na of China, who won the Australian Open in 2014, before retiring from the sport due to chronic and worsening left knee injury.
- Laureus Sport for Good Award: Australian Oliver Percovich, who changed the lives of young girls in war-ravaged Afghanistan with his worldwide skateboard programme Skateistan.
- The Laureus World Sports Awards are the premier honours on the international sporting calendar. The winners are chosen by the Laureus World Sports Academy, the ultimate sports jury, made up of 52 of the greatest living sportsmen and sportswomen.
Sachin Tendulkar was inducted into the prestigious Laureus sports Academy along with four other members.
- Published/Last Modified on: April 20, 2015