P Dhanapal Designated as Speaker of Tamil Nadu Assembly Again [ Current News (Concise) ]
Ruling AIADMK P Dhanapal was universally elected as Speaker of the 15th Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly again and he becomes first speaker to be elected for a successively second term in the state’s legislative history.
- Previously AIADMK’s Pollachi V Jayaraman was re-elected as the Deputy Speaker of the legislative assembly.
- His names for Speaker and Deputy Speaker respectively were proposed by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and the state Finance Minister O Panneerselvam had upheld the proposal when the Assembly met, they both had served as Speaker and Deputy Speaker during the 2011 - 16 AIADMK regime.
- From Avinashi (Reserved) constituency for sixth term, Mr. Dhanapal was re-elected to the Assembly and Mr. Jayaraman was re-elected from Pollachi seat for fourth term.
- In 2002 Mr. Dhanapal was elected as Speaker for the first time and then AIADMK regime.
- After 1955 he was the first Dalit to become Speaker previously between 146 and 1955 J Sivashanmugam Pillai was the first Dalit Speaker of the then Madras Legislative Assembly.
About All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK):
- AIADMK is a state political party in the states of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, India.
- Presently it is in power in Tamil Nadu and the third largest party in the Lok Sabha.
- It is a Dravidian party.
- M. G. Ramachandran has established it on 17 October 1972 as a breakaway faction of the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK).
- Since 1989, J. Jayalalithaa (CM of Tamil Nadu) is leading AIADMK.
- The party has won the elections to the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly seven times and becomes most successful political outfit in the state’s history.
- At Royapettah in Chennai the headquarters of the party is located and was given to the party in 1986 by Janaki Ramachandran, MGR’s wife.
- Published/Last Modified on: June 6, 2016