PM Narendra Modi Flags Off Run for Rio Event [ Current News (Concise) - Sports ]
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday flagged off ‘Run for Rio’ event at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium to cheer for the largest ever-Indian contingent who will be participating at the multi-sport event in Rio.
- Modi wished luck to the Rio-bound Indian sportsman to boost confidence and ask them to win hearts with their conduct during the Olympic Games starting on August 5.
- The 5km run was flagged off from Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
- Thousands of school children, wearing masks of Rio-bound Olympians, Participated in the ‘Run for Rio’ from Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
- The event was organised by Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports. Prime Minister also released the Olympic Brochure.
- In his address, Prime Minister urged the youth to work hard for 2020 Olympics and mentioned that India’s focus should be on sending more than 200-member contingent should to Tokyo.
- Modi wished luck to the Rio-bound Indian contingent and exuded confidence that they will not only clinch medals but also win hearts with their conduct during the Olympic Games starting on August 5.
About 2016 Rio Olympics
- The 2016 Rio Olympics is the summer Olympics scheduled to take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from 5 to 21 August 2016.
- It is officially known as the Games of the XXXI Olympiad. For the first, the time Brazil is hosting summer Olympics games. In addition, for first time the summer Olympics will be held in South America.
16 facts about Rio 2016
1. The Summer Olympic Games 2016 will take place from fifthto 21stAugustin Rio de Janeiro.
2. The opening and the closing ceremony will take place in the Maracana Stadium.
3. It will be the first Olympic Games ever held in South America.
4. Up until today, the Summer Olympics have been held 27 times (six editions in North America, 16 in Europe, 3 in Asia and 2 in Oceania).
5. The first Olympic Games (Olympic Games of the antiquity) were held in 776 in Olympia (Greek) and the first Olympic Games of the modern era in 1896 in Athens (Greek)
6. 10,500 athletes from 205 different countrieswill take part in the Summer Olympics 2016.
7. 306 competitions in42 different sportswill be held in 17 days.
8. Golf(returning after 112 years) and Rugby (returning after 92 years) will be the “new” sports of the Olympic Games.
9. There will be 33 different venues in four different districts of Rio de Janeiro (Copacabana, Barra de Tijuca, Deodoro and Maracana).
10. A few of the football competitions will not only be held in Rio de Janeiro, they will be hosted by Belo Horizonte, Brasilia, Salvador and Sao Paulo.
11. 7.5 million tickets are available and are already up for sale
12. Ticket prices range from 40 Brazilian Real (10.89 Euro) to 4,600 Brazilian Real (1,252 Euro)
13. The total costs of the Olympic Games 2016 in Rio de Janeiro will mount up to 37.6 billion Brazilian Real (10.24 billion Euro): 24.1 billion Real (6.56 billion Euro) for the infrastructure of the city, 6.5 billion Real (1.77 billion Euro) for sports facilities and 7 billion Real (1.91 billion Euro) for the operation and organization of the event.
14. Until 2016, there will be45 events held to test the Olympic and Paralympic Games 2016.
15. There will be8,000 employees, 85,000 third party employees and 45,000 volunteersworking for the Olympic Committee Rio 2016.
16. Theslogan of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro is Viva sua paixao (Live your passion).
- Published/Last Modified on: August 3, 2016