PM initiates birthday celebrations of Rani Gaidinliu [ Current News (Concise) - Important Days ]
About Rani Gaidinliu: Gaidinliu was born on 26th January 1915 and died on 17th February 1993 at age of 78 at Longkao of Manipur in India. She was a Naga political leader who led a revolution against British rule in India.
- She joined the Heraka religious movement of her cousin Haipou Jadonang at the age of 13.
- The movement later turned into a political movement looking for drive out the British from Manipur and the Naga areas.
- She known as an avatar of the goddess Cherachamdinliu within the Heraka cult.
- She was arrested at the age of 16 and punished to life custody by the British rulers in 1932.
- Jawaharlal Nehru met her at Shillong Jail in 1937 and promised to pursue her release.
- Jawaharlal Nehru gave her the title of “Rani” and so she known as Rani Gaidinliu.
- She was released in 1947 after India’s independence and continued to work for her people.
About Initiation of her birthday celebration:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi initiated birthday celebrations of freedom fighter Rani Gaidinliu.
- He also launched memorial coin of 100 rupees and movement coin of 5 rupees of Rani Gaidinliu to remember her birth centenary celebrations.
- She received Freedom Fighter Tamrapatra award in 1972, Padma Bhushan award in 1982, Vivekanande Sewa Samman award in 1983, Birsa Munda Award in 1966.
- Postal Department has released honoring postal stamp of her in 1996.
- Union Government has established one type of Stree Shakti Puruskar from five to honour her in year 2000.
- State owned Hindustan shipyard Ltd. had launched an in - shore patrol vessel for the Indian coast guard named as Rani Gaidinliu in 2010.
- Published on: August 31, 2015