PMJDY logo Meghalaya has achieved 100 percent [ Current News (Concise) ]
Tripura is the capital of Meghalaya state and this state achieves 100% financial inclusion under PMJDY success in implementing Union Government’s flagship scheme for financial inclusion PMJDY (Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna). All eleven districts of Meghalaya state have been able to open at least one bank account of every household under the ambitious scheme.
- In Meghalaya state, More than 5.55 lakh households have been covered with 1.56 lakh new bank accounts.
- All banks both from private and public sectors have contributed in successfully implementing the scheme. The rural population (1.8 lakh) has given more response to the financial inclusion scheme in the state compared to the urban population (47,000.).
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the goal of eradicating financial untouchability of the poor by opening at least one bank account for every family in the country in less than six months.
- PMJDY seeks to financially empower the poor by providing them access to formal banking system. It also seeks to provide platform for Direct Benefits Transfer (DBT) which will curb leakages in government subsidies and thus saving government exchequer.
- Initially, PMJDY launch the scheme had a target of opening 7.5 crore bank accounts by January 26, 2015, but later it was revised and raised to 10 crore bank accounts.
- Published/Last Modified on: May 25, 2015