Palestinians gets agreement to fly flag at United Nations [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Palestinians: Palestinians are the Palestinian people who are the modern children of the peoples who have lived in Palestine over the centuries. These people are mainly Arab in culture and also use the Arabic language due to Arabization of the region. Palestine is also known as Land of Israel and historically it has been known as the Southern portion of wider regional names such as Canaan, Syria, ash - Sham, and the Levant.
About getting of agreement:
- Palestinians got the right to fly their national flag in front of the United Nations headquarters, a symbolic step opposed by Israel and the United States.
- The change was made by the UN General Assembly, when a huge majority of member countries voted in favour of a resolution granting what are known as non - member observer states the right to fly their flags together with member states.
- Palestine became an observer state in 2012.
- The Vatican was also other observer state, which has held that status since 1964.
- The flag is going to be lifted for the first time when Mahmoud Abbas the Palestinian Authority’s president, delivers his statements to the annual meeting of heads of state and government at the General Assembly.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 15, 2015