Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma honoured with Aditya Vikram Birla Kala Shikhar Award [ Current News (Concise) - Awards ]
About Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma: Pandit Shivkumar Sharma was born on 13th January 1938. He is an Indian Santoor player. The Santoor is a traditional instrument from Jammu and Kashmir.
- He composed the background music for one of the scenes in Shantaram’s Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje in 1956.
- He recorded his first solo album in 1960.
- He teamed up with flautist Hariprasad Chaurasia and Brij Bhushan Kabra to produce a concept album, Call of the Valley in 1967 which turned out to be one of the greatest hits in Indian Classical Music.
About his achievements:
- He received honorary citizenship of the city of Baltimore of USA in 1985.
- He also received the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1986.
- He achieved the Padma Shri award in 1991.
- He also achieved the Padma Vibhushan award in 2001.
- About honoured with Aditya Vikram Birla Kala Shikhar Award:
- Santoor expert Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma was honoured with the Aditya Vikram Birla Kala Shikhar Award.
- Governor of Maharashtra C Vidyasagar Rao has presented the award to Shiv Kumar Sharma.
- Satyajit Talwalkar for Tabla and Murad Ali Khan for Sarangi were aso awarded with the Kala Kiran Awards.
- Shehnai players Sanjeev and Ashwani Shankar were awarded with Special Jury Award.
- Published/Last Modified on: November 23, 2015