Parliament Passes Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016 [ Current News (Concise) ]
Lok sabha has passed the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Bill, 2016. The bill seeks to provide statutory status to the existing Regional Centre for Biotechnology in Faridabad, Haryana.
- The Bill to provide legislative supports to the Regional Centre and also consults upon it the status of an institution of national significance.
Objectives of the Regional Centre:
Provide masters, post-graduate diplomas and doctoral degrees in biotechnology and related subject like:
- Engineering sciences
- Institute academic positions like appoint professorships.
- Decide standards of admission to the Regional Centre.
Some authorities responsible for its administration and functioning like:
- Board of Governor
- Programme Advisory Committee
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
- India entered into an agreement with the UNESCO in 2006.
- Agreement based on establishment of the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Training and Education in India to serve the member countries of UNESCO.
- In 2009, through the executive order the Union government had established the Regional Centre for Biotechnology Training and Education in Faridabad, Haryana as per agreement.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 19, 2016