President presented “Stree Shakti Puraskars” and “Nari Shakti Puruskars” for the year 2014 [ Current News (Concise) ]
President of India, Pranab Mukherjee presented Stree Shakti puraskars (six women) and Nari Shakti Puruskars for the year 2014. These awards were given on the occasion of International Women’s Day (8 March) at a function at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Prize money of award is 3 lakh rupees and a citation.
Award: Winner - Reason behind
- Rani Lakshmibai: Seema Prakash, Madhya Pradesh - For working for the cause of vulnerable and marginalised Communities of Madhya Pradesh Since 2000 particularly for the Korku tribe of the state.
- Rani Rudramma Devi Award: Astha Sansthan (NGO), Rajasthan - For protecting women’s rights, gender mainstreaming, issues relating to violence against women tribal rights, food security, transparency and right to work and others.
- Mata Jijabai Award: Chandraprabha Bokey, Maharashtra - She is a social worker and is working in rural areas since 1960. Her field of work includes empowerment and rehabilitation of destitute, divorced, disabled women and rehabilitation of orphan children.
- Devi Ahilyabai Holkar Award: Anyay Rahit Zindagi (NGO), Goa - The organisation works towards combating trafficking of persons subjected to commercial sexual exploitation since 1997.
- Kannagi Award: Dr. P Bhanumati, Kerala - For founding Association for Mentally Handicapped Adults (AHMA) working for welfare of the poor destitute mentally challenged adults since 1996.
- Rani Gaidinliu Zeliang Award: Sister Mariola, Rajasthan - For working with the inmates at Ajmer Jail, Rajasthan since 1997 and has been lobbying for Prisons Without Walls.
The Nari Shakti Puraskars have been stared for the first time in 2015 and the award carries a cash prize of one lakh rupees and a citation. Eight women win of the Nari Shakti Puruskars for the year 2014. They are Rashmi Anand from Delhi, Nandita Krishna from Tamil Nadu, Dr. Laxmi Gautam from Uttar Pradesh, Latika Thukral from Haryana, Dr. Sailakshmi Balijepally from Tamil Nadu, Neha Kirpal from Delhi, P Kausalya from Tamil Nadu and Dr. Swaraj Vidwan from Uttarakhand.
- Published/Last Modified on: March 12, 2015