Proposal for formation of 5 new districts has been approved by West Bengal Government [ Current News (Concise) ]
Proposal for formation of five new districts in the state has been approved by the Government of West Bengal. Total number of districts of Bengal will increase and reached to 25 with this decision. In state Cabinet meeting arranged at Kolkata and chaired by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee this decision was taken.
Five new districts are
- Kalimpong district: Bifurcating Darjeeling district will carve out north Bengal.
- Sunderbans district: At this time it is stretches across parts of the North and South 24 Parganas districts. It will be part of world’s largest mangrove forest.
- Basirhat district: At North 24 Parganas new district will be formed.
- Burdwan (Industrial) district: Bifurcating existing Burdwan district to form new district.
- Jhargram district: It will be carved out of West Midnapore district. After State administration gets formal permission from court and create the basic infrastructure, this districts will be formed within six to 12 month of time.
- Published/Last Modified on: December 21, 2015