Puducherry get the nomination of the country’s first smart city [ Current News (Concise) ]
Puducherry city also known as Pondicherry has emerged as the first nomination to be received by the Urban Development Ministry for a Smart City Mission. Puducherry is a Union Territory of India, Former French India formed out of four exclaves and named after the largest Puducherry district. The Tamil name of Pondicherry is Puducherry which means “New Town”. In history it is known as Pondicherry.
Smart city: Smart Cities focus on people’s most pressing needs and the greatest opportunities to improve lives. To make a difference -They put a range of approaches on digital and information technologies, public-private partnerships, urban planning best practices and policy change.
Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) is a part of Government of India, which is the pinnacle body for creation and administration of the rules and regulations and laws relating to the housing and urban development in India. The ministry is under the charge of Venkaiah Naidu.
In this regard, Government of Union Territory of Puducherry has nominated its capital city for insertion in the Union Government’s warship 100 Smart Cities Mission and it has forwarded the nomination along with all the forms and documents as required in the Stage-1 of ‘City Challenge’ competition.
The nominations also include the details of evaluation of all the five urban local bodies (ULBs) namely Puducherry, Karaikal, Oulgaret, Mahe and Yanam. The nomination was forwarded based on the recommendations of the High Powered Steering Committee (HPSC) constituted as per the guidelines of mission. It was headed by Chief Secretary of UT and had overseen the process of first stage intra-state competition.
For each state and UTs slots assigned for Smart City are as per the criteria based on equal weightage for urban population and number of ULBs and the geographical equity.
Facts about Stage-1 evaluation criteria of Puducherry
- Puducherry has a population of 6.5 lakh has scored 75 of the possible 100 marks in Stage-1 evaluation criteria.
- From 2011 the Lucknow Municipal Corporation (PM) provision of household sanitary latrines has achieved 18 percent improvement.
- Internal revenue generation has continually increased by 14 percent over the past three year period of 2012-13 to 2014-15.
- It has met 23 percent of its capital expenses from internal assets. It also has met about 80 percent operation and maintenance costs of water supply through user charges.
- Published/Last Modified on: July 24, 2015