Punjab Government has chosen Suresh Arora as DGP and replaced Sumedh Singh Saini [ Current News (Concise) ]
About Suresh Arora: Arora, a 1982 - batch IPS officer, was serving as the Director - General of Police - cum - Chief Director, Vigilance Bureau. The new DGP, Suresh Arora, has served as SSP in almost all districts, besides serving as the DIG, CM Security, after the assassination of then chief minister Beant Singh.
- A postgraduate in law from the University of London, Arora has won various gallantry medals and awards, including the President’s Meritorious Medal, the Distinguished Service Medal and the Prakram Medal for his works against Sikh revolution of 1980’s and 90’s.
About his appointment:
- The Election Commission of India had appointed Suresh Arora as the Director General of Police of Punjab ahead of the last Lok Sabha poll.
- He was selected from among three officers, whose names were forwarded to the ECI by the state government for the post, after DGP Saini had proceeded on a long leave ahead of the poll, following which the Congress had sought his removal from the post.
- Soon after the declaration of assigning Suresh Arora as Punjab’ new DGP, Sikh community raised strong voice against his character and named him as another Genocidal killer Cop.
- Published/Last Modified on: October 29, 2015