Punjab to set up bio-ethanol refinery to stop threat of straw burning [ Current News (Concise) ]
Punjab Government has announced to set up bio - ethanol factory in the state to attack the danger of wheat and paddy straw burning. State government has inked MoU with association of Beta Renewables, Novozymes and CVC India Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd.
- The project estimated worth Rs. 950 crore during the Progressive Punjab Investor Summit, 2015.
Benefits of bio - ethanol refinery:
- It would play an important role in solving the prolonged problem of straw burning.
- Straw is basically the waste of agro - based produce especially from wheat and rice feedstock.
- It would benefit farmers economically as they would be paid for their agro - based produce to excerpt bio - ethanol.
- It would also help in avoiding the loss of fertility of soil.
- It reduces the damage to environment by reducing air pollution.
About bio - ethanol:
- It is an alcohol resulting by process of fermentation.
- It comes mostly from carbohydrates of plant produce and feedstock.
- It is commonly obtained from crops such as sugarcane, cassava, corn, potato, beetroot and recently grapes, banana and dates etc.
- As a quasi - renewable energy it can be mixed with petrol or diesel making it a maintainable transport fuel.
- It can also be used a substitute fuel in manufacturing processes and cosmetic products etc.
- Published on: November 3, 2015