Rani Singh Nair Appointed as Chairman of CBDT [ Current News (Concise) - Policies & Governance ]
Senior Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Rani Singh Nair is appointed as the new CBDT Chairperson with incumbent Atulesh Jindal retiring on Sunday. Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi confirmed Rani Singh appointment.
- Rani Singh will be in office until October 31, 2016 and shall succeed then acting chairman Atulesh Jindal who retired on 30 July 2016.
About Rani Singh Nair
- Rani Singh Nair is a career civil servant and belongs to Indian Revenue Service. Prior to joining PFRDA,
- Rani Singh is 1979-batch IRS officer of the Income Tax cadre.
- Prior to this appointment, she was working as member (Legislation and Computerisation) at CBDT.
- IRS officer Rani Singh Nair has been instrumental in framing the procedures and protocols.
About Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)
- The Chairperson, CBDT is the senior-most IRS civil servant in the Government of India.
- CBDT is a part of the Department of Revenue under the Union Finance Ministry. It is also the supreme body in India for framing policies related to direct taxes.
- The CBDT Chairperson is ex-officio special secretary and is under the direct charge of the revenue secretary of India
- CBDT is a statutory authority established under The Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963.
- The composition of CBDT includes Chairman and six member.
Role of CBDT are as follow:
- CBDT include the essential inputs, ideas and requirements for planning and policy in India, with regard to direct taxes in India.
- It helps in the administration of direct taxes throughout India through Income Tax Department.
- CBDT is a Constitutional Authority, which used to handle both direct and indirect taxes.
- Published on: August 3, 2016