Ratification of the Paris Agreement Approved [ Current News (Concise) ]
The Paris Agreement (on Climate Change) will be ratified on 2nd October on 2016 on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti by the central government. In December 2015, the Paris Agreement was adopted by 185 nations. India had signed Paris Agreement at New York in April 2016. This agreement was signed by 191 countries.
When will Agreement Come into force?
- It will only implemented if it is ratified by 55 countries (55 %).
- Currently 61 countries, accounting for 47.79% of the total global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions have ratified Paris agreement.
Significance of India’s Ratification
- With India’s ratification to the Paris agreement, the cumulative level of emission for ratified countries would be 51.89%.
- India will be the key country to bring the Paris Agreement into force.
- Paris Agreement will push the global actions for climate change and will be implemented before 2020.
- Published/Last Modified on: September 29, 2016